Thursday, June 2, 2011

A visit to Panavision


Recently, I spent a day at Panavision in Woodland Hills, CA prepping camera for use on my friend Joselito's USC thesis film, UNSETTLED, that we are shooting in Wisconsin and Illinois in two weeks.  We are shooting on the GII which was first introduced back in 1987 (two years after Back to the Future, fyi just for reference).  I think it's amazing that we are still using it in 2011; talk about engineering something that works (and lasts).  Most cars from 1987 are off the road on cement blocks somewhere or were pressed into a tiny cube of twisted metal long ago.

The movie will be shot on 3-perf 35mm film at 2:35:1 aspect ratio.  We've got a sick lens package comprised of Panavision Super and Ultra Speed lenses as well as a massively heavy 25mm-250mm zoom (T3.8).  One of our lenses is a 50mm prime that opens to a T1.1!  I hope we don't shoot that wide open, but at least we have the option too!  Interesting tidbit: in the photo to the right, the magazine on top of the camera isn't actually dirty at all.  It's a faux-marble design on the mag.  Seriously.

While I am only the 1st AC on this project, it makes me think about why I really enjoy shooting on film: it forces you to do your homework beforehand and really get what you need while shooting.  You will run out of film is you are indecisive on set.  That's an expensive mistake to make.  And your film will suffer.  Shooting on film encourages discipline, both for the DP and the director.  You both made the decision to shoot on a limited supply of film, so you both have a responsibility to get the movie in the can with the raw stock you have on hand.  On low budget productions, shooting on film is, at the very least, a great exercise in efficient filmmaking.  You can't always throw money at a problem until it goes away.

That being said, shooting digitally allows you the freedom to run those extended takes when you need to.  I was recently talking to a camera operator on the NBC comedy Parks and Recreation and she was telling me about how they will just roll and roll and roll on entire scenes getting everything at once.  That coverage strategy would bankrupt the show if they shot on film.  And I don't want that to happen - Parks and Rec. is hilarious.

Unsettled should be a good time.  The DP is my friend Jon Barenboim and I am excited to work with him again.  I'm also excited to be able to travel for work.  Once again, I get to see places I've never been while making a film.  Living the dream...

No comments:

Post a Comment