Tuesday, January 25, 2011

RawHyde BMW Off-Road Academy

I spent this weekend up in the mountains north of Santa Clarita at RawHyde Adventures BMW Off-road Academy shooting part of ongoing motorcycle documentary.

As someone who is not a motorcycle rider, nevermind an OFF-ROAD rider, I was blown by how much FUN it looked like. I totally get the attraction not only to motorcycles, but to riding them off-road. These machines can take you ANYWHERE.

I have been shooting primarily with the SONY EX-3 to SXS media, but also brought along my new GoPro Hero camera. This camera shoots full 1080p HD through a wide angle lens onto an SD card. You can suction cup it almost anywhere or use any number of sticky pads to mount it wherever you want. The camera is even smaller than it looks in pictures.

The image quality is pretty good despite its 15mb/sec data rate. My biggest complaint are the rolling shutter artifacts and vibration. The worse the vibration - the more Jello-cam you get. Mounted on the windshield of motorcycle was by far the worst. On the rider's helmet was much better. Mounted to the bikes frame worked very well too - the vibration was totally acceptable as it was such a dynamic shot.

I can only complain so much - this is a $300 HD camera half as large as my smartphone. It does 720p60 so you can get some pretty nice slo-mo out of it too.

PROS:
Small size
Full HD and 720p60
Great quality sound

CONS:
Rolling shutter
Automatic exposure adjustment
No LCD screen to check framing

No comments:

Post a Comment